The following is a general transcript of the video below. For more information about Dale Dahlin, please visit his website or subscribe to his YouTube Channel for more helpful tips.


Hello. My name is Dale Dahlin. I’m an attorney in Lincoln, Nebraska.  I have over 35 years of experience in handling accident cases. I would like to talk to you today about what to do after you’ve been in a car accident.

Involved in a Car Accident? Seek Medical Attention

First of all, of course if you’re severely injured you need to get immediate medical attention. If you don’t need immediate medical attention there are some things you can do that will improve your claim.

Do not leave the scene of a car accident

Second, stay at the scene of the accident. It can be a crime to leave an accident scene where there’s been injuries or significant damage. Make sure other people are OK and don’t need immediate medical care.

Call the police

Call and report the accident. When the police come out talk to them. You want to exchange information insurance information with the other party. The police will often take care of that. You should always have your registration and proof of insurance with you at all times in your vehicle. You want to exchange that information and give a statement to the police. Take photographs of all the vehicles and the scene of the incident, at the scene of the accident.

Document the Car Accident with Pictures

Most people have cell phones now with cameras. If you don’t have a disposable camera with you for that purpose, if there’s witnesses to the accident get their identifying information, their name, address, phone number. You need to notify your insurance company after the accident.

Call a Lawyer then notify your Insurance Company

Most policies have provisions in the insurance policy requiring you to notify them of any accident you’ve been involved in. Also, you should document your injuries and damages.

Keep a file

Keep the records of your medical treatment and medical bills in there. If the vehicles been damaged, you should keep the estimates and any repair invoices in that file. I also recommend that you hire an attorney who’s experienced in Personal Injury Law. I’ve been practicing Personal Injury law for  35 years. If you need help, call me- Dale Dahlin.

Dale Dahlin is also licensed to practice law in California.