This following is a transcription of the video below.

The following information is for general educational purposes only and not offered nor given as legal advice. 

Hello, I’m Dale Dahlin. I’m an attorney in Lincoln, Nebraska.

I’m going to talk to you today about a situation where a child born out of wedlock can inherit from an estate.

There are situations where a person passes away without a will. And there are children that they have had out of wedlock that isn’t necessarily acknowledged or known about. Or a situation where it’s already set for them to inherit and yet that person needs to prove that they’re a child of the person that passed away to be able to inherit.

Claiming paternity

Often DNA is used to prove that paternity and the rights to inherit from the person. A recent famous example of that is the estate of Prince who died in Minnesota. There was DNA tested to prove who was his rightful heirs and also to disprove people who were claiming to be heirs of his. That’s common in many cases where you can use DNA to prove or disprove that paternity. Now, of course, you need to be able to get DNA samples from the person that has passed away. Time is critical to be able to try and acquire DNA samples of the person that’s passed away. And then also have the person who’s claiming to be a child or an heir tested and have the DNA tested.

Deadlines for making a claim on an estate

There are many deadlines in these situations as far as the time to make a claim, to file the proper pleadings and procedure and have that done to be able to establish inheritance. If you have a situation where you believe you may be a rightful heir of somebody that’s passed away, feel free to contact me for a free consultation at (402) 423-4300.

Dale Dahlin is also licensed to practice law in California.